Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Athletic Training Philosophy

“Treat others how you would want to be treated.” As simplistic as this quote is, I think that this is the perfect philosophy not only in the everyday life, but also within the athletic training field. What this quote means to me is that if someone gives their all in helping me achieve my goals, I will return the favor with all of what I have to offer. We have all been taught this saying since the day we were able to understand how the world works around us. As a result, I have been living by this quote for the past twenty-four years of my life and treating my athletes using the same philosophy.

As an athletic training student and future practicing athletic trainer, my goal with every patient/athlete is to provide the best healthcare that I have to offer.  My trust in my physicians who take care of my health would be the same trust my athletes and patients would have in me when returning them to the field. If I don’t know a question, I will do everything in my power to find the answer to not only treat my athletes, but to also educate them. I will check up on my athletes on a regular weekly basis to see how they are feeling and if there are any improvements. I will work with each athlete to specifically give him or her the most adequate exercises fitted for their individuals injuries and not a cookie-cutter routine. 

The reason why I want to be an athletic trainer is because I want to give back to my community. Many of my aunts and my mother work in the geriatric field and they develop great relationships with their patients. After a long days' work, they feel accomplished and rewarded for helping their patients and being able to put a smile on their faces. My goal in life is the same. I find athletic training to be extremely rewarding as well, especially when we can help an athlete return to the game they love. As an athlete at Nichols College, I spent numerous hours in the athletic training room for my injuries. I got to know my athletic trainers and put my health in their hands because I learned to trust them. They spent countless hours in the athletic training room with each of us to rehabilitate and return us to the field. They cared so much about how are injuries were and made us feel comfortable enough to go to them about anything. I would like to be able to develop a relationship with my athletes or patients where they can trust their healthcare in my hands. My goal in the athletic training field is to treat my athletes with the best care I can provide and simply make them happy.

Evidence-based practice is extremely important to myself and the well being of my athletes that I treat. It is important to know why I am performing a type of treatment or rehabilitation technique in order to be able to educate them to have a proper recovery. Attending the NATA conventions and all other healthcare related functions will be a great tool to expand my knowledge to excel. As a future athletic trainer, I must be open-minded because of the ever-changing world of technology that may affect the healing process of each athlete. Not only is technology changing but also equality and diversity of the people in our society. I must also be able to communicate with my athletes and be able to understand their needs physically and emotionally. Athletic training is a life long learning profession. Athletic trainers must understand that each individual is different and to become the best clinician, we must develop an individualized approach for each athlete. I am still learning how to be the best clinician and am doing so by the clinical experience I have had. When I don’t know an answer, I ask why. I listen to what my clinical instructors teach me and take that knowledge and create my own protocols. I have learned the hard way that there is no silly question. I have also learned to take it upon myself to step outside of the box when creating rehabilitation or prevention protocols. "Treat others how you would want to be treated," will forever be my philosophy to living my life. 

            

1 comment: